I have wanted to make a cake roll for SO LONG and I’m so excited to finally get to show you how to do one!! An amazing opportunity presented itself from a friendship that has been growing online with Beth from CookingandCrafting! We met IRL in LA during our recent trip there and it was so fabulous to get to chat face to face. She happens to be friends with a fellow Canadian YouTuber, Tammy from Yoyomax12 and suggested that the three of our channels work on a Halloween collaboration together. I immediately jumped on the idea and started working on a Halloween cake roll.
1 cup flour (120g)
1 teaspoon baking powder (5mL)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2.5mL)
1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
1 teaspoon lemon juice (5mL)
1/4 cup milk (hot) (60mL)
Green, purple, orange and black gel paste
Cherry pie filling
Chocolate Halloween shapes (skulls, tombstones, bones) or gummy body parts/creepy crawlies
Chocolate cookie crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray a jelly roll pan with non-stick spray and line with wax paper. Spray the paper as well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Mix and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, whip the eggs, sugar and lemon juice until thick. Heat the milk and slowly add it to the egg mixture and whip until very thick.
- Gently fold half of the flour mixture into the egg mixture, until combined. Add remaining flour mixture, and continue to fold until there are no flour chunks remaining.
- Divide batter equally into four bowls and colour each bowl with gel paste separately. Place each amount of batter into a piping bag for piping.
- Starting with one colour, cut a small amount of the bag tip off, and pipe a straight line following the edge of the pan. Repeat using the next colour, until the pan is covered completely.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cake springs back after being touched.
- Remove from oven and immediately invert onto a piece of parchment paper. Gently roll the cake up, with the parchment paper, starting at one end, and set aside to cool.
- When cooled, unroll cake and fill with cherry pie filling. Re-roll cake (without parchment inside) and place on plate or platter.
- Finish decorating cake as desired using Halloween chocolates or candies.