Although I stupidly sound like this is a sponsored video, be assured that it is NOT!! I paid $29 CAN for this fun machine at *cough* WalMart *cough* . Would I admit that I shop at WalMart if I didn’t have to?
This machine looked really cool when I saw it on the shelf (thanks to Paul for pointing me to it!). I knew that if I had kids at home, I would love to hear an unbiased review of it before I committed to purchasing it. So here it is . . . it is fun, bright, and easy to use, but if you already have silicone moulds at home, or know where to find them, you can save yourself $29 and use them and the microwave.
Making gummies is super easy, all you need is gelatin, Jello and water! If you’re so inclined, so can replace the water in the mixture with fruit juice for an extra fruity flavour. I believe that the required amount of unflavoured gelatin powder creates the perfect chewiness, but if you find it too chewy, you can cut back one package. The molds that are included in the machine are for a giant gummy bear, gummy worms, gummy fish and other gummy bears.
I hope you enjoy this review and making your own gummy bears!!
- 3 envelopes unflavoured gelatin (21g)
- 1 package any flavoured Jello 4 serving size (85g)
- 1/2 cup water (120mL)
- Assemble and interlock the trays to form a ring.
- Fill trays with ice 1/2-3/4 full. Place gummy silicone moulds on top. Arrange heating machine in the centre ring of the trays and turn on.
- Add water, unflavoured gelatin and jello and whisk until mixed thoroughly. The mixture may thicken at this point but will liquify when it heats up. Allow mixture to warm until the gelatin has been dissolved in the water. This took about 10 minutes when I was using the machine.
- At this point the mixture will be hot. Carefully pour the liquid into the gummy candy molds (worms, fish and bears).
- Allow to set completely, which took 15 minutes for mine.
- To remove gummy’s from the silicone mould, gently peel the gummy’s away from the sides of the mold.
- Store in a sealed container for 2-3 days.
Giant Gummy Bear
- 6 envelopes unflavoured gelatin (42g)
- 2 packages any flavoured Jello 4 serving size (170g)
- 1 cup water (240mL)
- Gumbo gummy bear mold
- In a microwaveable bowl, add gelatin and jello to the water. Whisk ingredients together.
- Place bowl into the microwave and heat for 1-2 minutes, until crystals have dissolved.
- Whisk ingredients at 30 second intervals to help if needed.
- When the crystals have dissolved, pour into the giant gummy mold.
- Allow to set for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove from mould and serve immediately.
All in all I think this is a cool machine, BUT I don’t think that it is necessary to have to make gummy candy. You can make them at home using your own moulds and the microwave.