I made homemade Vanilla Ice Cream a couple of days ago, and I had so much of it, that I knew I had to come up with something to make with it, in order to use it up. There’s only so much ice cream that you can give away!
A couple of weeks ago, I was at a local store (The Superstore) and on sale was a silicone pan shaped like a giant cookie! I didn’t know what I was going to use it for, but I knew I needed it. My storage room does not need it, but I did!
Fast forward a couple of weeks and ice cream plus cookie pan equals ice cream sandwich! I wanted a cake-like topping and bottom for the sandwich, and I’d been wanting to use a simple recipe, sometimes called a “wacky cake”. It doesn’t have any eggs, and uses ingredients that were easy to find back in the day. The baking soda and vinegar combine as the leavening agent and make a light fluffy cake which is the perfect pairing for the ice cream. As far as the cake pan goes, you definitely don’t need a new pan for this though, and you can bake the cake in a regular 8″ cake pan if you wish.
If you want to use homemade ice cream, follow our recipe here. But if you prefer, getting yourself a couple of liters of ice cream from the grocery store works as well.
Giant Ice Cream Sandwich Cookie
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour (270 g)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (60 g)
- 1 cup sugar (200 g)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (90 g)
- 1 tsp baking soda (4.7 g)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5 g)
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- 9 tbsp vegetable oil (133 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 1 tbsp vinegar (15 mL)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugars, cocoa, salt, baking soda) and mix until the colour is uniform and ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add each of the wet ingredients (water, oil, vanilla, vinegar), and continue to mix until the batter is equally moist.
- Divide batter equally between two greased 8″ pans and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from pans, and allow to cool completely.
- 8″ chocolate cakes (2)
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Pour slightly softened ice cream into an 8″ springform pan lined with parchment paper. Freeze until solid.
- Place one half of the chocolate cake onto a cake board or plate.
- Remove ice cream from springform pan, and place ice cream slab on top of chocolate cake.
- Apply sprinkles to the sides of the cake by pressing into the ice cream portion.
- Place second chocolate cake slab on top of the ice cream slab.
- Return cake to freezer to solidify again before slicing and serving.
- Once solid, serve as desired.