My kitchen counters have been covered with bags and bags of Skittles for many weeks now. I’ve been working on an upcoming special video with a fellow YouTuber involving Skittles, but that video is not set to go up until next week. I didn’t take the bags of Skittles off the counter after I filmed that video, as I knew I had to make more than ONE Skittles recipe!
So while I wait to show you the original idea for a Skittles recipe, I present to you a Skittles Cupcake recipe! For this recipe I start out with a basic vanilla cake batter and add in whole Skittles. You could also chop the Skittles up into smaller pieces, and that would work for this recipe too, basically it just depends on how much chewiness you want to add to your cupcake. The Skittles flavour is subtle, but you can definitely “taste the rainbow”! Ha, ha, ha . . . I’ve been waiting to use that line.
The rainbow icing is a beautiful way to decorate any flavour of cupcake. I thought the bright, vibrancy of the buttercream would pair perfectly with Skittles, because, as I mentioned already, the Skittles slogan is “Taste the Rainbow.” Striping the bag is the easiest way to achieve this effect. It is simple, and produces a beautiful, rainbow topping. Adding a couple of Skittles to the top for decoration, completes the Skittles theme of the cupcakes.
Skittles Cupcakes with Rainbow Icing
This recipe makes approximately 15 cupcakes.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (180 grams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (5 grams)
- 1/2 cup butter (120 grams)
- 2 egg
- 1/2 cup milk (120 milliliters)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (3 milliliters)
- 1/2 cup Skittles (100 grams)
- Vanilla Buttercream
- Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple gel paste
- Additional Skittles for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix until combined.
- Cut butter into 1″ cubes and add one at a time to the mixing bowl, while the mixer is on medium speed. Mix until the crumbs resemble fine sand.
- With the mixer on low, add eggs one at a time and slowly add the milk and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add the Skittles, and stir briefly.
- Bake in the preheated for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted to the centre of the cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- To make the rainbow icing, use a paintbrush to stripe the inside of a piping bag fitted with a 1M tip. Apply a stripe of each colour of gel paste to the inside of the bag.
- Fill bag with prepared buttercream.
- Pipe a standard swirl to the top of the cupcake, and the rainbow colours will come out beautifully!
- Add additional Skittles to the top of the cupcake as a garnish if desired.
- You can serve these immediately, or you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.