I love popcorn. It’s my vice in the evenings. Really, it’s probably a habit that I should quit, but I just can’t quit it. Yet. But I should try. Soon. Maybe. But I like it! Years ago, my friend Kim introduced me to the wonders of popcorn with Smarties. Say what? Popcorn and chocolate? OMG, Everyday I curse and applaud her for this. Thank you dear friend.
Well, now that you have direct proof of my mental struggle with food, I will move on to the actually reason you are here reading this, and that is for the Popcorn Cake!
If you love a salty and sweet combination, which I also love, but we don’t want to get into that, this is the perfect no-bake cake for you! Start out with a basic recipe that you might find for rice krispies treats (marshmallows and butter), and add in any of your favourite small candies or chocolates, press it into a cake pan, and ta-da! A popcorn cake!
For the marshmallows, it’s easiest to use mini as they melt faster, but you can also use regular (large) sized ones. It will just take more stirring, and patience, when melting the marshmallows. To melt the marshmallows, I tried both the stove-top and microwave methods. For the stove-top, you need a medium sized pan, and melt the butter and marshmallows over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth. For the microwave method, melt the marshmallows and butter in a microwave safe bowl in 60 second intervals, stirring after each heating period, and continuing until smooth.
The best tip I can give you for this recipe is to LIBERALLY, and I mean SMOTHER your tools with butter. It will make everything so much easier. I even woregloves for this job, as you have to press the popcorn down into the tube pan- you can use a spoon, but it’s so much easier with your slippery gloves.
No-Bake Popcorn Cake
- 2 bags microwave popcorn
- 16 oz marshmallows
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups Smarties (candy coated chocolate)
- 1 cup rainbow Twizzlers (cut up)
- Extra large M&M’s (optional)
- Mini M&M’s (optional)
- Pop popcorn according to package directions. Remove any un-popped kernels. Place popcorn in a very large bowl.
- Add smarties and Twizzlers to the popcorn.
- Melt butter and marshmallows in a microwavable safe bowl in 60 second intervals, stirring between each interval.
- Allow marshmallow mixture to cool slightly before pouring onto the popcorn mixture (so that the chocolate doesn’t melt).
- Once cooled slightly (but still pliable) pour mixture into the popcorn bowl and stir to coat everything in marshmallow.
- Liberally butter a 10″ tube pan and press marshmallow mixture into the pan. Cover with plastic wrap, and allow to cool before removing from the pan.
- If desired, add extra large and mini M&M’s to the outside of the cake.