When I was a kid, I loved Nerds! There’s nothing much better than “retro” candies from the 80′s! Nostalgia makes everything taste better, am I right? Combining cake and the crunch of Nerds is such a novel treat!
I haven’t seen Nerds in forever -nor was I looking for them- so when I recently found boxes of them at Bulk Barn I knew I had to make something using them! They come in a different sizes and the extra large boxes are full of a number of different flavours and colours- those are the Rainbow Nerds variety (you can see them in the intro shot of the video). I separated each box of Nerds by colour to get all the variety of colours I had in my tutorial. It’s a time consuming activity, but if you want to achieve the rainbow effect, it’s necessary. Choose your favourite playlist of ours and set yourself up in front of the computer and separate them one. by. one.
Nerds date waaaay back to 1983. I was four when some genius invented these little crunchy candies. They are sour and sweet, and come in tons of flavours! I’m not sure which one is my favourite, but I definitely like the green watermelon one. Basically they are tiny sugar candies, coated in different colours and flavours. They have a distinct flavour, so when you cut into this cake for a bite of it, you’ll definitely be able to taste the Nerds flavours.
Rainbow Nerds Candy Cake
- Separate Nerds by colour in separate bowls.
- Attach one cake round to a cake board using a small dollop of buttercream. Cover the top of the cake round in buttercream, and pipe a dam around the outside of the layer. This will prevent any Nerds from falling out the sides of the cake.
- Fill center of cake round with Nerds.
- Place second cake round on top of the bottom one, and repeat covering the cake with buttercream and piping a dam.
- Fill with Nerds and place third layer on top. Cover the entire cake with buttercream.
- On the outside of the cake, etch an angled guideline up and around the sides of the cake.
- Apply piping gel to the area that the Nerds will be, and gently press the Nerds into the piping gel. Repeat using colours of Nerds as desired.
- On top of the cake, etch out a spiral guideline and apply piping gel and Nerds as desired.
- Serve cake when desired.
- It is best kept in the fridge and consumed within for 2-3 days.