Today I show you how to make an edible candy cup filled with Skittles Soda! It’s so good, you can taste the rainbow.
BUY MY COOKBOOK.
Subscribe to Cupcakes and Cardio.
Subscribe to our NEWSLETTER.
Making these candy cups is pretty simple. Just shove in some candies and melt them. Yes, that’s it! Well, there are a couple of things I learned along the way. Hard candies melt at different rates, depending on the shape, brand and I’m sure a million other science reasons I don’t know about. I found that Jolly Ranchers melted faster than the Kerr’s Candies and that’s where my science testing ended. I used the blue from the Jolly Ranchers with the other colors of Kerr’s to make the cups and they melted well together. But when I used just Jolly Ranchers, they kind of turned into a big puddle of mess. It still solidified as a cup, but didn’t look as cool as it should have with differentiation between the colours.
The other factor that you have to watch closely is the baking time. Start watching the melting process after 12 minutes. If the candies aren’t flat on top, they’re not ready. Once they are flat, but not yet bubbling, bring the tray out and tap it on top of the oven to remove any air bubbles that might be there. When the bubbles come up to the top, pop them and then if the candy is still soft enough, flat back down the bottom with a spoon or knife.
I first practiced this idea in the summer, and I did notice a difference between then and now (winter). The drier the air, the better the candy works out and the less sticky it is on the outside. When I placed a cup in a warm storage room, I came back to it a few days later a sticky misshaped mess. Store them in a dry, cool location if you plan to store them.
Making the Skittles soda to go with these is what sets this recipe over the top. Skittles soda? Or maybe Skittles Vodka? Either one would be delicious. The Skittles soda seriously tastes exactly like Skittles. Whatever you put in the cup will take on the flavour of the candies you made the cup with, so drink your soda quickly. Or don’t and have a crazy combo of Skittles and Jolly Ranchers!
Rainbow Candy Cups with Skittles Soda
- Silicone shot glass mold
- Coloured hard candies
- Clear hard candies
- 7-Up or Sprite
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Fill candy molds with hard candies, ensuring that the cups are entire filled and that there are no empty spaces.
- Place silicone mold on a baking tray and place into preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until candy has melted entirely.
- Once melted, remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely (1-2 hours) before removing from the mold.
- To make Skittles Soda, separate colours and place approximately 15 candies in a small container. Pour soda on top and allow to sit for about 10 minutes. Remove white wax pieces if desired before pouring into candy cup. Use about 15 candies per 1/2 cup of soda.
- Pour skittles soda in candy cup and top with whipping cream, sprinkles and lollipop.
- Candy cups will hold up with Skittles soda inside for a maximum of 60 minutes, so pour when ready to consume. Serve candy cups on a plate covered with candy and it is perfect for a rainbow party!
- Candy cups will last indefinitely in a sealed container, kept in a cool, dry place.