Today I’m showing you how to make Shopkins inspired cake, this time it’s Rainbow Bite! Shopkins are adorably cute miniature rubber toys whose moto is “Once you shop…you can’t stop!” and they make wonderful birthday cakes for kids!
- 4 x 6″ round coloured vanilla cakes- pink, yellow, green, blue
- Buttercream- pink, yellow, green, blue, black, white
- Mini Chiclets
- 2 pink chocolate melting wafers
- 1 pink heart sprinkle
- 2 licorice pipes or Tootsie Rolls
- White and purple fondant
- Black piping gel
- Cotton Candy
- Cut a large arc out of the pink cake, a medium arc out of the yellow cake, a small arc out of the green cake and a tiny arc from the blue. Fit the arcs inside of each other, using white buttercream to adhere them together.
- Cover rainbow arc in white buttercream and place on cake plate or cake board.
- Following the arcs of the cake, cover the individual arcs in matching buttercream. E.g. use the pink buttercream, to pipe a pink arc, covering the pink cake arc. Repeat for yellow, green and blue.
- In between each buttercream color, pipe a thin line of white buttercream with a piping bag fitted with a #4 or #5 tip.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 on the back of the cake as well.
- To make the eyes, cut out circle from the white fondant using the bottom of a 1A tip, and a small white circle using the top of a #4 tip. Cut a circle from the purple fondant using the bottom of a #4 tip. Using a thin paintbush paint the outline around the outer edge of the white circle with black gel paste and a semicircle portion of the purple. Use water to stick the purple circle to the white, and the tiny white piece to the purple.
- Place eyes on the cake between the yellow and green arcs and the heart sprinkle where the mouth should be.
- Pipe black eyelashes and a mouth around the heart.
- Slice the sides off the chocolate melting wafer at an angle, and insert the smaller end into the cake at the bottom, under the mouth.
- Optional Cotton Candy: to have the cake appear as if it is floating above cotton candy clouds, raise the cake up with a lift. The lift was made with cardboard pieces wrapped in aluminum foil. Once the cake is lifted, place fluffs of cotton candy underneath it.
- Cotton candy is best used immediately, so if using it, serve your cake as soon as you have the cotton candy placed on the cake. You can keep the cake portion in the fridge for 2-3 days.
If you missed our Shopkins Wishes cake, you can watch it here: