Today I’m showing you how to make a S’mores Cake! Layers of graham cracker cake, chocolate cake, marshmallow buttercream, marshmallow meringue (marshmallow fluff) and chocolate ganache make up this epic cake!
Subscribe to Cupcakes and Cardio here for new videos every week!
Summer is definitely s’mores time! I love hanging around the campfire making these delightful camping treats. I haven’t been able to get camping for a few years now so I’ve had to resign to making s’mores in the microwave. It’s not the same, but it fulfills the craving! LOL
If you haven’t had a s’mores today, they are a delicious camping sandwich combining graham crackers, chocolate and roasted marshmallows. You need two graham crackers, one slice of chocolate and one roasted marshmallows . . . the marshmallows should be very gooey and squeeze out the sides of the sandwich. They are so heavenly.
This cake combines all of the s’mores ingredients, but in cake form. I combine layers of homemade graham cracker cake (recipe below), chocolate cake, marshmallow buttercream and marshmallow fluff. You can use a marshmallow meringue or a traditional meringue if you want, though I did find that with the traditional meringue there is lots of leakage as the meringue isn’t sealed at the edges. You can try thinking the marshmallow fluff by adding icing sugar. I found that using marshmallow meringue worked really well too. You will want to add whichever marshmallow topping you choose as last minute as possible and keep the cake in the fridge.
Roasting the marshmallow topping is obviously the most fun aspect of making this cake! You get to play with a kitchen torch! If you don’t have one you can also use a propane one, or go without browning the marshmallow. As a last resort, you could pop the whole cake in the oven on broil for a minute, but that might get messy if you made a mistake doing that one! The graham cracker crumb cake brings a true graham cracker taste the cake, as well as the desired crunch that comes with them.
How to Make a S’mores Cake
- 2 x 8″ Prepared Chocolate Cake
- 2 x 8″ Prepared Graham Cracker Cake (recipe below)
- Prepared marshmallow buttercream
- Prepared marshmallow fluff
- Prepared Chocolate ganache
- Attach one graham cracker cake to a cake board, using a swipe of buttercream to attach it to the board. Pipe a buttercream dam around the outside edge of the cake. Fill dam with chocolate ganache. Place chocolate cake on top and pipe on a layer of buttercream. Repeat with second graham cracker cake, ganache and chocolate cake.
- Fill in any of the gaps between the cake layers with additional buttercream. Use a spatula to smooth the buttercream out, leaving the cake “naked”.
- Cover the top of the cake with chocolate ganache and using an offset spatula, push some of the ganache over the edge of the cake.
- Pile the marshmallow fluff on top of the cake and allow some to flow over the side. Carefully brown marshmallow topping with a kitchen torch.
- Top cake with chocolate curls, cracker pieces and crumbs.
- Cake is best consumed within 2-3 days and should be kept in the fridge.
Graham Cracker Cake
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and prepare 2 8″ round cake pans.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine crackers, flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Whisk until combined.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and vanilla and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and half of the milk into the wet ingredients. Mix thoroughtly. Repeat, using up the rest of the ingredients.
- Divide batter equally between the two prepared pans. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 30-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted