If you have ever wanted to know how to get the PERFECT HOMEMADE BUTTERCREAM recipe (also called frosting or icing), this video is for you! This recipe has been used in my kitchen for over 15 years, and it is perfect for piping cupcakes, and perfect for icing a cake. Subscribe for more cake decorating basics, tips, recipes and tutorials LIVE with Jenn!
If you have my cookbook, Happiness is Homemade, you’ll recognize this recipe immediately! I have gotten so many questions about how to make perfect buttercream, that I figured it was time to re-do the video tutorial. Vanilla buttercream was one of the first videos that we ever filmed, and I’ll admit, I had no idea what I was doing back then! But now, I have a great video, and an even better recipe to share with you!
Vanilla Buttercream Recipe
- 1 cup (240 grams) butter
- 8 cups (1 kilogram) icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) vanilla extract
- 4-6 tablespoons (60 milliliters- 90 milliliters) milk
Buttercream Icing Procedure:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until fluffy.
- Add half of the icing sugar and slowly continue to mix.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the vanilla and half of the milk. Mix until no clumps remain.
- Add the rest of the icing sugar, but do not add any more milk until the icing sugar begins to mix together more completely.
- Add one or two more tablespoons of milk until desired consistency is reached. (You will want a thinner buttercream for spreading onto cakes, and a thicker one for piping flowers, or borders.)
- Use immediately or store in a sealed container for 2-3 days in the fridge. If you are storing the buttercream in the fridge, allow it to come to room temperature, and remix it briefly before using.