Learn how to get the PERFECT HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM recipe, this video is for you! This recipe is perfect for piping cupcakes, and perfect for icing a cake. Subscribe for more cake decorating basics, tips, recipes and tutorials LIVE with Jenn!
Subscribe to my Second Channel, Jenn Johns, here.
I did my first chocolate buttercream video recipe back around 2011/12, but what I failed to do when I filmed that video, was I failed to make blog post about it! Ooops. As much as I’d like to say that was the reason for making version 2.0, it wasn’t. I just wanted to film another recipe- at much better quality!
Chocolate Buttercream Recipe
- 1 cup (240g) butter
- 8 cups (1kg) icing sugar
- 2/3 cup (70g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) vanilla extract
- 6-8 tablespoons (60mL- 90mL) milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until fluffy.
- Add half of the icing sugar, and cocoa powder and slowly mix. With the mixer on low speed, add the vanilla and 5 tablespoons of the milk. Mix until no clumps remain.
- Add the rest of the icing sugar and two-three more tablespoons of milk until desired consistency is reached. (You will want a thinner buttercream for spreading onto cakes, and a thicker one for piping flowers, or borders.)
- Use immediately or store in a sealed container for 2-3 days in the fridge. If you are storing the buttercream in the fridge, allow it to come to room temperature, and remix it briefly before using.